Cover photo for Raymond Catten's Obituary
1942 Raymond 2018

Raymond Catten

November 24, 1942 — December 28, 2018

Raymond George Catten


Raymond is free! No longer bound by the limitations of his broken body, he can walk, and run, and ski, and fish, and golf, and do all of those things that he loved to do as a younger man.  He is free to rejoice with all of those loved ones who passed before him.  Raymond is free!

Raymond George Catten.  “Raymond” to most of his family, “Ray” to most of his friends and “Rum” to most of his brothers and sisters, was born in Salt Lake City on November 24, 1942.  His parents were Joseph Catten and Mollie Laurie Catten and he was the 7th of their nine children.  He grew up in their loving home in Magna, Utah surrounded by his family and friends.  He graduated from Cyprus High School where he was a member of the swim team and he later went on to become the head life guard at the Cyprus swimming pool.

Raymond began a long career working for Kennecott Copper, while still working part time as a life guard.  It was during his time as a life guard that he met the love of his life, Linda Ensign.  They were married in the Salt Lake Temple on February 17, 1967.  Raymond and Linda had two wonderful children, Amy Janiel Catten was born in 1975, but unfortunately had severe birth defects.  Amy was only expected to live a very short time, but through the loving and nurturing care of her parents, she lived almost two years and was a delight to all of those who were fortunate enough to be around her.  In 1979, Raymond and Linda were blessed with Brett Todd Catten.  Brett has grown into a fine man and now has 3 children of his own.

The path of Raymond’s life took a sharp turn when he was injured in an auto accident in the late 1980’s.  He was getting his car ready for a boy scout outing and had taken it to the carwash.  On his way home, he was rear-ended at a stop light by an impaired driver, his car was flipped over, and he was severely injured.  He was taken by helicopter to the University of Utah Medical Center where his life was saved, but his mobility was lost.  Raymond suffered a spinal injury that rendered him a paraplegic from the mid-chest down.  He was unfazed and determined to continue on with his life.  Through the generosity of Kennecott and the work of his family and friends, Raymond and Linda’s home was remodeled to accommodate his wheelchair.  After his own hard work through months of rehab, Raymond returned to work at Kennecott, where he worked until he reached his retirement age.

The second half of Raymond’s life was simply remarkable.  Despite his physical limitations and deteriorating health, he continued to work until retirement, traveled when he could, never missed family gatherings (including a trip to Lake Powell), was able to attend his high school reunion in 2016, and always cheered hard for his Utes and the Jazz.  All the while continuing his complete devotion to Linda, Brett and his grandchildren – the most important people in his life.  He did this with a smile on his face, a dry sense of humor, and never a complaint or “woe is me” attitude.  Raymond took some of the harshest setbacks that life can administer in stride, he always had a smile for everyone and just kept moving forward – Linda always at his side.  His courage and his strength of character was amazing.

Over the decades since his accident, Raymond’s health continually deteriorated as he battled illness after illness.  He spent most of the last three years of his life at South Davis Hospital in Bountiful, where he felt comfortable and loved by the wonderful nurses, aides and staff.  Almost every day, rain or shine, Linda would drive from their West Valley home to Bountiful to spend several hours with him at the hospital.  Raymond passed away on December 28, 2018.

Raymond’s entire family would like to thank the doctors and nurses at the University Hospital for the lifesaving care that they have given Raymond over the years.  We would especially like to thank the nurses, aides and staff at South Davis Hospital for the care and respect that they provided to Raymond, Linda, Brett and all the friends and family who visited him in the hospital.

Raymond is survived by Linda, his loving wife of 51 years, his son Brett (Rhonda), and his grandchildren Sebastian, Kylie and Peyton.  He is also survived by his sisters, Miriam Cole (Alfred), Doris Giles (Roy), Janis Widing (Mark) and his brother Richard (Julie).  He also has many nieces, nephews, great-nieces and nephews, cousins and in-laws.  Those who have passed before him include his daughter Amy, his parents Joseph and Mollie Catten, his brothers Eugene and Dennis and his sisters Joan and Lois.

Services for Raymond will be held 12 noon Thursday, January 3, 2019 at the LDS 14th Ward chapel located at 3450 South 6400 West, West Valley City, Utah.  There will be a viewing from 11:00 am until 11:45 and the services will start at noon.    Internment will be at the Valley View Memorial Park in West Valley City.

Raymond is free!

To order memorial trees or send flowers to the family in memory of Raymond Catten, please visit our flower store.

Service Schedule

Past Services


Thursday, January 3, 2019

11:00 - 11:45 am (Mountain time)

Enter your phone number above to have directions sent via text. Standard text messaging rates apply.

Funeral Service

Thursday, January 3, 2019

Starts at 12:00 pm (Mountain time)

Enter your phone number above to have directions sent via text. Standard text messaging rates apply.


Visits: 75

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the
Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Service map data © OpenStreetMap contributors

Send Flowers

Send Flowers

Plant A Tree

Plant A Tree